Saturday, January 17, 2009

FTP File Upload Error

It seems that our Network Administrator has changed some settings because my previous file uploading code is NOT working. And giving the following exception:

The server returned an address in response to the PASV command that is different than the address to which the FTP connection was made.

I was using the VB.net My namespace,
My.Computer.Network.UploadFile("C:\SomeFile.txt", "ftp://ftpsite/somefile.txt", "userid", "pwd")
So I Googled about that error and found some dicussion on MSDN forums.

Then I modified and created my own upload function as,
Private Sub UploadFile(ByVal sDestination As String, ByVal sSource As String, ByVal sUserID As String, ByVal sPassword As String)
    Dim i As System.Net.FtpWebRequest
    Dim us As System.IO.Stream
    Dim filebytes As Byte()

    ' create the FTP Web Request
    i = System.Net.WebRequest.Create(sDestination)
    ' set credentials
    i.Credentials = New System.Net.NetworkCredential(sUserID, sPassword)
    ' method = Upload File
    i.Method = System.Net.WebRequestMethods.Ftp.UploadFile
    i.UsePassive = False
    i.Proxy = Nothing
    ' get the Request Stream
    us = i.GetRequestStream()
    ' get the file bytes from source
    filebytes = My.Computer.FileSystem.ReadAllBytes(sSource)
    ' write the bytes in stream
    us.Write(filebytes, 0, filebytes.Length)
    ' close the stream
    us.Close()
End Sub
Warning! Above function will read all the bytes (in one go) from file. Which is NOT a good practice for larger files.

No comments: